Adding products and services to Billy can be done in advance, or on the go, depending on what your preference is. It's important to note that for this article, and in Billy in general, products and services are effectively interchangeable.
There are several ways to add products and services to Billy. In this section, we'll go over all of them.
The easiest way to add a product or service in Billy is to do it while you're creating an invoice. Here are the steps you'll want to take to add a product or service while invoicing a client.
1) First, you'll want to create a new invoice for your client. You can do this through either the Dashboard or from the Invoices page.
From the Dashboard: On the dashboard, you'll see a button in the 'invoices' box that reads, 'Create invoice'.
From the Invoices page: You can navigate to the Invoices page from your dashboard by clicking on ‘Invoices’ in the left menu bar. In the top right, you’ll see a button that reads “Create invoice”. Clicking this button will bring allow you to create an invoice.
2) Once you're creating a new invoice, you can add a product or service to your catalogue by clicking the 'Create new' button shown below.
3) After you click the 'Create new' button, you'll be prompted to enter the details for the product or service you're adding. The numbered image below documents all the fields that are important for adding your product.
4) Product or Service Name: This is the name of your product or service. This is what your customer will see on their invoice.
5) Description: This is a short description for your product. Your customer will see the description of your product or service when you invoice them.
6) Revenue category: This is the account to which your sales associated with the given product or service will flow. The default is 'Sales', but you can add other revenue accounts such as 'Sales of Products' or 'Late Fees'.
7) Tax: This is the default sales tax rate that applies to this product. For example, if you live in a state where sales tax applies to products but not services, you can add ensure that sales tax will only be applied to the correct products. More sales tax configuration options are available in the 'Settings' menu.
8) Add a Price: For individuals that do business in multiple currencies, you can set your products up with multiple prices in multiple currencies.
9) First Price: This is the price that will show up if the invoice is created using the associated currency.
10: Second Price: This is the price that will show up if a different currency is selected on the invoice. It is important to note that the currency type on the invoice must be set before adding the product to the invoice. Changing the currency type on the invoice will not update the product's associated price or currency.
11) SKU/Product code: This field can be filled with internal stock codes or product codes that you use to keep track of your inventory. This field is not required and is not shown to the customer on the invoice.
12) Image: Billy gives you the option to upload a product image for each individual product. Your customers will see this image on their invoices.
13 Archive: Archived products will not appear on the drop down lists in Billy. You can use archived products for special products that are one-time use for example, that you don't need to save information for.
14) Save product: Finally, you can save this product to your catalogue. Once you save it. It will be added to your invoice.
You can also add and manage your products through the 'Products menu'.
1) Navigate to the ‘Settings’ menu in the bottom left corner of your window.
2) Navigate to the 'Products' menu on the right.
3) Here you'll find all of your products and services and their associated settings. The image below details the functionality of this menu.
4) Create product: Clicking this button will allow you to add a single product or service to your catalogue. See the description above for adding a single product to your catalogue.
5) More: Clicking this button will allow you to import products in bulk or export your catalogue to a CSV file. The best way to import products into Billy is to begin by exporting your product catalogue. Even if you don't have any products, you will download a CSV file formatted in a way that makes it easy to enter your product details and simple for Billy to recognize. Once you've added your products to the CSV file, you can upload your products to Billy by selecting the import option under this button.
6) Product search: The search box will allow you to find a particular product in your catalogue quickly.
7) Show archived products: If you have products that are labelled as archived, you can check this box to display them in your product catalogue.
8) Name filter: You can filter your products alphabetically by clicking the 'Name' heading of the table.
9) Edit product: If you want to edit the details associated with a particular product, you can click this button to do so.
10) Delete product: Clicking this button will prompt you to delete the product from your system.