Want to start adding bills and receipts to Billy right away? The video below provides a quick how-to and some best practices for managing your bills and expenses in Billy.
In this section, we'll go over the different ways you can a bill in Billy. In Billy, there are currently 4 ways to add bills.
1) From the dashboard: On the main Billy dashboard, there is a ‘Create bill’ button in the ‘Bills’ box on the right. Clicking this button will take you to add a bill.
2) Drag and drop: On the main Billy dashboard, there is a box in the ‘Bills’ box that you can drag bills or receipts into and have them uploaded to Billy.
3) From the Bills page: From the main dashboard, you can click ‘Bills’ on the left menu bar. On the Bills page, you can click the ‘Create bill’ button at the top of the page.
4) Via email: Each organization in Billy comes with a unique email address that can receive bills and automatically add them to Billy. Simple forward a bill as an attachment (image file or PDF) to the email address and it will be automatically added to Billy as a draft bill. You can find this email address by going to ‘Settings’ then ‘App settings’ and you’ll see the email address under the ‘Bill settings’ heading on the right.
5) Mobile app: Coming soon!
In this section, we’ll show you step by step how to create a bill in Billy.
1) Vendor: In this box you can add the vendor that the bill came from. The dropdown box will save contacts that you’ve received bills from before.
2) Bill date: This is the date that the bill originated.
3) Paid: This checkbox indicated whether or not the bill has been paid.
4) Due: Enter the date when the bill is due here.
5) Voucher: Billy automatically adds a unique voucher number for each bill so you can keep track of them.
6) Reference number: Sometimes bills come with a reference number or an order number provided by the vendor. You can enter this number here in case you need to look it up in the future.
7) Currency: You can change which currency the vendor is requesting payment in here.
8) Description: You can add a short description of the bill here.
9) Expense category: You can add an expense category here for this particular bill. Billy comes with several pre-loaded expense categories that you can choose from, or you can choose your own if you wish.
10) Amount: This is the total amount that the vendor is requesting in payment.
11) Upload receipt area: You can either click the ‘Upload receipt’ button or drag and drop the receipt provided by your vendor and it will be uploaded to Billy and attached to the bill for future reference.
12) Timeline: The timeline shows all of the activity associated with the bill. Once the bill is created, you can add comments to it, or track changes across users.
13) Approve: Once you approve the bill, it will register as an expense in Billy and be added to the Bills page.
14) Save as draft: If you aren’t quite ready to register this bill as an expense in Billy, you can save it as a draft. You’ll note that this bill will not show up in the ‘Top vendors’ box on the dashboard while it is a draft.