Billy, a Portland-based startup that provides cloud-based accounting software for small businesses, is looking to hire one full-time senior developer (front-end and back-end) and two full-time junior developers (front-end) immediately.
- Founded in Denmark in 2012.
- Offices in Copenhagen, Denmark (22 employees) and Portland, OR (2 employees.)
- Raised $2MM from private investors (not venture capital) so far and growing very fast.
- Dominated the Danish market in only two years, and now we’re expanding to the United States to conquer the largest market in the world.
- We offer a freemium model. We currently have about 50,000 users. We project to have 100,000 users by June of 2017 and 200,000 by June of 2018.
- Our development team is comprised by a CTO, a front-end lead developer/scrum master, a senior back-end developer, two junior back-end developers and three junior back-end developers.
- We’re a small, nimble team. You will have a lot of responsibilities and a very active voice in our decision-making process.
- You will be our first developer in the United States, and will be our team leader as we hire more developers. You’ll be responsible for helping us hire and train developers, as well as for supervising them once they’re hired.
- We believe in hiring the best, getting out of their way to let them do their jobs and supporting them in any way they need us to.
- Our goal is to build the easiest accounting software in the world. We’re 80% there and expect to reach our goal by the end of 2016.
- We’re a user-centric product. We’re constantly onboarding users face-to-face to look for obstacles they find and opportunities to make our software more user-friendly. User feedback drives most
of our product decisions.
- We use a microservice-oriented architecture.
- The back-end uses a single REST API (the same API that our main web app at app.billy.com uses.)
- Most of the services run Node.js and we also work with Elixir, Python and PHP.
- All services run in Docker containers within our Mesos/Marathon cluster, which makes our DevOps very easy to work with.
- The services communicate internally using a private API, using asynchronous events.
- We’ve started working with event sourcing and CQRS, for which we use Event Store.
- Our main webapp (app.billy.com) is an Ember.js application.
- We have a lot of Ember.js experience in-house and have had great results working with Ember.
- The app is fairly large as there is a lot of functionality to cover in an accounting app. This poses a lot of fun challenges and requires clever and solid long-term solutions.
- Our UX and design are world-class and this is an area we don’t compromise in.
- We use d3.js to produce beautiful-looking charts.
- In addition to our main webapp we have a few other front-end applications, such as a customer portal and some internal administration and dashboard tools.
The Competitive Landscape
- Quickbooks is top-of-mind among business owners, but the consensus is that their product is very unintuitive, which is why we built Billy.
- Freshbooks is a great invoicing product but it doesn’t offer double-entry accounting, so it’s not really an accounting software that accountants can use. The same is true for Zipbooks.
- The only true accounting software available for free is WaveApps, but it's supported by ads and it’s not very user-friendly.
- Xero is the current market leader regarding product quality and user count, and our top competitor. However, their plan that compares to our free plan is $30/month. And, their premium plan is $70/month (vs. $29/month for Billy Premium.)
- Xero is ideal for companies with complex accounting needs, such as inventory control, tax preparation, purchase orders support, payroll and cashflow analysis. Billy is ideal for companies between one and 50 employees that don’t require these advanced accounting tools.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Flexible work schedule: work when you’re the most productive. Take a break or the day off when you need it.
- Flexible location: as long as you get things done, work from home, a coffee shop or out of town. This isn’t always possible but it is in most cases.
- Great health insurance (includes dental and vision)
- Offices located at the WeWork building in the Pearl District: 220 NW 8 th Ave, Portland, OR.
⋅⋅ 24/7 access.
⋅⋅ Foosball, pool and ping pong tables.
⋅⋅ Free coffee, tea and draft beer.
⋅⋅ Showers and bicycle storage.
- Parking (accessible 24/7)
- Be an integral part of an ambitious team that works hard and plays hard. Work-life balance is very important to us.
- Front-end developers: You have experience working with Ember.js.
- Back-end developers: You have experience working with Node.js and PHP.
- Back-end developers: Knowledge of Docker, AWS, Elixir, Python, REST API and React Native is a plus.
- You take quality and testing very seriously.
- You’re a team player and feel comfortable working in a fast-paced tech startup environment.
How to Apply
- Email your resume and/or LinkedIn to zeke@BillyApp.com
- Provide projects or code samples you’re proud of and/or a link to your GitHub account.
I look forward to hearing from you!